Friday, October 18, 2013

Day 2 and Five Minute Friday!

Five Minute Friday.
Set the timer for 5 minutes...and just write!
Todays prompt ~ Laundry!

{Go}
Practice makes perfect. No. Practice makes better. I know this to be true. My neighbor is a master on the Saxophone. I hear him practicing daily from inside his home. He is a professor of music with a PHD, and he has played along side many well known artists, including Harry Connick Jr.... yet he continues to practice. 

My daughter is a volleyball player. She is already amazing, but when she practices, she improves. It is noticeable. 

I want to write, but many times, instead I do laundry, and clean bathrooms and make beds and empty the dishwasher. The things that need to be done, but share no inspiration or make a lasting impact. 
To be a better writer, I need to practice. I need to leave the laundry for another time or maybe, another member of the household. I need to believe that practicing my writing will make a difference and I'll notice {stop} the improvement. 




Today is my very first attempt at five minute Friday. It is exactly what I need to push myself to practice. I'm heading to Allume in a few days and I'm hoping for inspiration and direction. I'll be attending workshops on finding my voice and creative writing....and realize that to really be better, have more confidence, see improvement and share my true voice, I have to write! There will always be a better writer, just like there will always be a better saxophonist or volleyball player. I'd like to learn from those who are better and more practiced, without the comparison that deflates me and urges me to put down the ink pen and run back to the laundry.
I cannot say I'll be here every Friday, but maybe!

This is day 2 of  "7 days of  Before Allume."
Looking forward to more.

Five Minute Friday

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the community of Five Minute Friday! Great job on your first post. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your first Five Minute Friday. Wish I could join you guys at Allume :) Enjoy.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to FMF - It's truly my favorite time to write all week! I think the best way to be a better writer is 1) to practice (like you said) and 2) write from the heart! When you're sharing part of yourself, it truly shows through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we become what we practice don't we? And I, like you, want to keep learning..."without the comparison that deflates me and urges me to put down the ink pen and run back to the laundry." Great words. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! That was fun to read! I may join this one day!

    ReplyDelete