Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Feasting on truth at Allume!

Because I am a small time blogger.... I totally feasted on the words of Ann Voskamp and Melanie Shankle. I mean feasted as in pulling up a chair to the buffet table and just digging in with a fork. 

They brought a similar message. A message from Jesus of significance and authenticity.

Ann spoke eloquently about each one of us being a star, as every one of Gods children are stars. That collectively, the stars shine and gain attention and show the wonder of the Creator. A single star becomes so much more brilliant and effective when it is collaborating with a sky full of stars.
In the same manner, when we stop comparing ourselves to bigger bloggers, more influential teachers, more organized mothers, and more radical women....and start believing in ourselves, then we see the great joy that comes from gratitude...then we feel significant even when we are just one of the hundreds of stars illuminating the night sky. We know we have value and significance...that our small story is part of Gods grand story.

Melanie reminded us that we are all called to something, but we are not all called to the same thing. She spoke of the psalmist, David and of how God called him, while he was doing what he was doing....daily. God sees us when the world doesn't and he teaches many lessons in obscurity. She reminded us to "not despise the day of small beginnings." We cannot compare ourselves to others. It is never about what we do or don't do, it is all about Jesus. He may need you in Uganda, or he may call you to minister at the fancy clubhouse in your upper class neighborhood!  Run to the battle line because you realize the battle belongs to The Lord...and you will be blessed.

We are significant and we have a purpose....all of us, as members of the body of Christ. 
That makes this small time blogger, doing what I'm doing, tired of keeping up with the Joneses, girl really happy and hopeful and ready to shine with the rest of you!

Oh yeah!
Happy Tuesday to ya!



This is the second post in my "After Allume" series...because there is just too much to say about Allume in one post.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Jen. You taught me a few things here. Thank you for speaking these words. I do know as I get older, I don't feel like I have to compete or compare anymore, and it's a great feeling. And also what you said, It's all about Jesus! amen.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the comparison of Uganda and our regular lives. Thanks for this, from one small blogger friend to another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, this is so beautifully written! In the past few years, I have become much more content to know that I am exactly where God wants me to be, at this moment. I have followed your blog for a long time and you have always inspired me with your words and your photos! I am going to keep that star analogy with me forever...so beautiful!! hugs, cathy

    ReplyDelete